Day 60: Carcassonne

This morning I started near Agde. At first the cycling path was ok (allthough some poles had a spacing that made it hard with a velomobile to fit through). Agde itself was an obstacle course between lots of traffic, direction changes every few meters and very creative bicycle routing. 

Agde

This got a bit better when I left Agde and a lot better for a while when I got to the "Canal du Midi". But later the path along the canal was not covered in tarmac anymore and progress got a lot slower. 

I only saw the center of Béziers from a distance despite it seeming worth visiting.

Béziers

Also in Bézier you can find a bridge of the Canal du Midi accross the L'Orb:


And some cascading water locks that the foto does not a good job of catching:


But my focus for today was getting to Carcassonne and being able to spend some time there. So later I left the canal to make some faster progress on bigger roads.
And Carcassonne is worth spending time in. The Cité is really large. First I walked along the outer wall and then got inside and had supper later.






I was probably lucky that the french holidays end tomorrow and most tourists had already left. The corona rules of wearing a mask even outside and keeping a distance of 1 m indicate that it was quite crowded before.

From here it is still 400km to the atlantic coast where I will meet my brother. The fastest routing is along the Garonne. This area is completely unknown to me and apart from Toulouse I know nothing about the cities. So I'll probably just cycle on and see what I will find.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 85 + 86: Back Home

Summary

Day 84: Back in Germany