Day 70: Cycling the Atlantic Coast

Today I started cycling again. After returning the surfboard and backing my stuff (which took a bit longer after I had a week to unpack everything ;) I started targeting the "Dune du Pilat".

At first I cycled faster than usual in flat terrain on mostly empty streets. When arriving in Moliets I had finally bought some chain lube and applied it. This helped somewhat in reducing the effort needed to get the bike going.

But when I got into the dunes my legs did not like even the smallest ascents. Either I did not have enough breakfast or my legs have gotten used to slacking off in the last few days.

Seeing the "Dune du Pilat" I noticed I had been there before on a family holiday almost 30 years ago. 

Dune du Pilat

Dune swallowing some pine trees

Not sure how fast the dune moves, but it did not look at lot different from before. 

I decided that I did not want to cycle the 70 km to Bordeaux, but to continue along the coast. So I started rounding the "Bassin d'Arcachon" and ended up near Ares.


After spending almost a week on the bustling surf campsite, todays campsite feels almost eerily quiet. No neighbors to talk to. No waiting for a shower. Instead you can choose any shower cabin you want. I have to get used to that again ;) 

Tomorrow I'll continue cycling northwards. I'll probably not make it to "La Rochelle", but that is the city I'd like to visit next .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 85 + 86: Back Home

Summary

Day 84: Back in Germany