Day 82: Antwerp

Starting in Gent I followed the "F4 - Gent <-> Antwerp" cycling path this morning. Cycling in Gent was great even on a Monday morning and the cycling path was also great. Even the sign posts were informative and in the right places.


I already thought I had found an example for a perfect cycling path as it should be. But a few kilometers before Antwerp (probably when I crossed from East Flandern to West Flandern) the signs suddenly looked different and were not always helpful/sometimes missing. This is really a problem with the cycling infrastructure. Much depends on the local districts. There are no standards and everybody does his/her own thing. 

Antwerp welcomed me with an out of order elevator to the Sint-Annatunnel. I had to use a ferry instead. Many of the buildings where being renovated and because of a food festival on the weekend a lot of cleanup / deconstruction was still going on.  




Not very welcoming. After a lunch I continued on to Tilburg crossing the border to the Netherlands. Tilburg was full of multi lane streets and cars.

Since it was already late I continued to a camp site - which did not exist. Only on my map. I got a bit stressed since one of the batteries for my light is not working anymore and the other one was empty. But after another 6km I found "Camping Weideblik" which fortunately really exists.

Tomorrow I will continue cycling in a northwesterly direction. Let's see what I will find there.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summary

Day 85 + 86: Back Home

Day 84: Back in Germany